Sunday, August 7, 2011

Men be riding dirty

I have to admit there’s a small part of me that swells with confidence when a guy compliments me on my appearance. I think any woman feels a sense of pride in the way they look if someone notices.

However, this was only a fleeting feeling of confidence, because the compliment deteriorated when it was hurled at me from a moving car. Yes, my confidence peaked. And yes, I did puff out my chest a little more. But the feminist in me realised that hearing such praise from some guy speeding around in his brand new car was hardly deserving of any type of reaction.

Obviously driving around recklessly on campus does wonders for his self-confidence. I’m glad to see that he has to scream pick-up lines from the comfort of his new shiny, white Audi to shake any insecurity he may be feeling. With Lenny Kravitz blaring from the speakers, there is a need to show-off his new toy – probably bought by Daddy – and yell comments at unsuspecting victims.

Maybe not my most political piece of writing, but I felt it needed to be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment